Author Topic: Great Game  (Read 20152 times)

mrspockfan

• View Profile
Great Game
« on: January 15, 2010, 08:37:15 PM »
Started playing and love this game.  I especially like going into the homes and buildings, searching the barrels and crates and the homeowners don't mind a bit ;D 
Live Long and Prosper

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
Re: Great Game
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 05:06:20 PM »
Ha ha, yeah that's pretty standard in games with a loot gathering element to them. In the early stages of development I considered doing some kind of stealing element, but as with most things in the game I decided to keep it as simple as possible (simple for this type of game anyhow).

I must admit that I enjoy saving that monk from thieves and then looting his house after...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 05:15:26 PM by Tatterhood »

mrspockfan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 07:41:16 PM »
You really should feel bad about robbing a monk..but they do like giving to the poor. ;) 

I completed the game and achievements, but continue to play to see how high the levels go.  Right now, I'm nearly done with level 37.  I plan to start a new game and this time do a few things different.  I wonder how many people sold the rare wine from the basement and then said they never saw it....I held onto it for a long time before I sold it. ;D

Your team is to be commended for the wonderful details of the characters, the movement of D'Artagnan's hair when he rides, the sound of the horse's foot on the cobblestones, the change in music as the scene changes, the comments made by all the people, and compliments to your wife on the artistry.  I sometimes find myself enjoying the scenery of the countryside and then all of a sudden, ruffians attack.   Great job.
Live Long and Prosper

ThE_MarD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 04:13:07 PM »
Heyyo,

I agree, this is indeed one fantastic RPG. This game proves that amazing classtic-styled RPGs can still be made in 2D.

The loot gathering is of the most awesome and silly points to a classic rpg.. I mean.. who keeps diamond rings in a wooden barrel beside a picketed fence? rofl.. I loved how in A Bard's Tale (the latest one I'm talking about, not those epic old school ones) at the beginning when you kill a rat he talks about how he once killed a wolf and found a chest in it that contained gold.. Rofl, too true. :P

I definitely look forward to another game by Dingo Games.

Ac3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 01:38:33 PM »
Hello, all! I'm a new fan of your Musketeers game! I played a demo of it, and I purchased Queen Anne's Diamonds!
Guys (and any ladies that are part of the team), you are great!!
I was looking at the source code of the game and everything, and it seems there is a very great potential for expansion of the game(ala Rome: Total War modding communities).
Are there any future plans of continuing the three musketeers? Will there be support for a gaming community should there be potential members who would be willing to release add-ons for the game? I for one wouldn't hesitate to continue on it!
Once again, great game! Milady's Vengeance, here I come!

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 03:32:09 PM »
Thanks for your comments, I'm glad you like the game!

There aren't any real tools available for modders currently. Obviously one could play with the script files and most functionality is exposed through that (although there is no documentation and no level editor so I'm not sure how much is possible). If someone were to release a cool mod, they could certainly post it here. It's just that we have very limited resources and I don't think there is sufficient demand for us to put a lot of work into modding right now (even writing documentation and releasing a level editor would be a massive amount of work).

There is the possibility of us doing further Musketeers games (based on the later books), but we are focused on finishing the Tasty Planet sequel (http://www.dingogames.com/tasty-planet-back-for-seconds/).

Ac3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 01:10:21 PM »
Oh, I mean supposed I was willing to help you guys out and significantly expand the game's vocabulary? I've already added in more insults that I think you will find to be rather entertaining. For instance, here is a piece of code I have available (I have not edited the source files to the game, by the way.)
--   Cardinal's Guard insults
   <Row>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">cardinsult_insult4</Data></Cell>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Well, well, well. If it isn't that bumbling Musketeer d'Artagnan.</Data></Cell>
And I have alot more than that. Here is another I have:
   Cardinal's Guard insults
   <Row>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">cardinsult_insult4</Data></Cell>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Aramis has taught you well.</Data></Cell>
So, tell me what you think.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 03:16:25 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions. It's not something I have time to add right now, but you're welcome to mod the game to include the new insults. You've found the strings.xml, which contains all the text from the game - this file should be edited with Excel (the openoffice spreadsheet program would probably work as well). If you edit it with another text editor, things might get messed up (because it includes som non ASCII characters).

The scripting in the game uses Lua, which is a widely used and well documented scripting language. To add a new insult to a random encounter with the cardinal's guards, after becoming a musketeer, for example, you would find this in "randomencounters.lua" file:
Code: [Select]
function cardInsultGenerateInsult( )
local insult = "" ;
if ( isMissionComplete( "missionrochelle10" ) ) then
-- musketeer
insult = getString( "cardinsult_insult3" ) ;
elseif ( isMissionComplete( "missionparis9" ) ) then
-- after tennis match
insult = getString( "cardinsult_insult2" ) ;
else
-- nothing
insult = getString( "cardinsult_insult1" ) ;
end

return insult ;
end

And change it to this:
Code: [Select]
function cardInsultGenerateInsult( )
local insult = "" ;
if ( isMissionComplete( "missionrochelle10" ) ) then
-- musketeer
if ( randomInt( 0, 2 ) == 0 ) then
else
insult = getString( "cardinsult_insult4" ) ;
end
elseif ( isMissionComplete( "missionparis9" ) ) then
-- after tennis match
insult = getString( "cardinsult_insult2" ) ;
else
-- nothing
insult = getString( "cardinsult_insult1" ) ;
end

return insult ;
end

I didn't test that, but it should be something along those lines.

Make sure to backup any files before editing them, so that if something goes wrong you'll be able restore the files to original.

Ac3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
Hmm, well, I was thinking about releasing a mod to where the Three Musketeers dress like their counterparts in the movie with Michael York. I already have Athos and Aramis dressed like them. I'll fix Porthos up too, and post it soon.