Author Topic: Great game , and i 've a question  (Read 22810 times)

rendu2mai

• View Profile
    • Email
Great game , and i 've a question
« on: April 08, 2010, 11:13:59 AM »
When i finished the first chapter: queen anne's diamonds,
two pages of comics came out,
then i clicked "continue",
it went back to the main menu,
and i clicked "start game", it still remained the screen of end comics,
i cannot continue to play,
why?

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
Re: Great game , and i 've a question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 04:40:36 PM »
You are correct, that is the end of Queen Anne's Diamonds, and you can't continue on that player. If you want to play the game again, click on "Change Player" on the title screen and create a new player. Alternatively, wait for the second chapter to come out (Milady's Vengeance) and you will be able to continue where you left off. Also, when you beat Milady's Vengeance you will be able to continue playing.

As for the "why?", if you mean in terms of game design...

First, in case anyone is wondering, there are a few versions of the game. "The Three Musketeers: The Game" is the full deluxe game that I sell from DingoGames.com. I also wanted to sell Musketeers from some of the big "casual portal" websites but I wasn't willing to sell it for the prices they wanted to sell it for. So I split the game into two episodes, "The Three Musketeers: Queen Anne's Diamonds", and "The Three Musketeers: Milady's Vengeance" for the casual portals.

Originally I wanted the player to be able to continue their game at the end of Queen Anne's Diamonds to do the sidequests etc. but there were quite a few issues with doing this... now that I think about it again, it was kind of complicated, but I'll try to explain what I remember of it. I split the game at a point that was roughly in the middle, and is often around the point where the original book is split. Also, I needed to split it at a point that allowed me to make a good tutorial for players coming in fresh to Milady's Vengeance.

In terms of story, it made no sense to allow the player to continue to play - d'Artagnan has just lost his love, and is supposed to go search for her... but that is going to happen in Milady's Vengeance so the player would have to forget about that and just go do there own thing. Actually, I think the biggest thing that bothered me, in terms of story, was that the player can't leave Paris because he isn't supposed to search for the three Musketeers yet... but that was only supposed to be temporary because he had so much other stuff going on... but now it feels like he doesn't have anything going on, so why shouldn't he be allowed to go search for the Musketeers? There were some technical problems as well so I decided not to allow the player to continue playing.

Sorry if that didn't make any sense. In summary: when you get the next episode you'll be able to continue playing (even after beating it).

mrspockfan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 05:44:10 PM »
Now I understand why some people kept saying it's only half a game.  Glad I bought my game from DingoG and will continue to support your talents.

I'm still playing the game and will be reaching level 42 very soon.   So far, I've dispatched 1565 (yes I'm counting ;D) ) ruffians, thieves, highwaymen, englishmen and Rochelliers and I still have about 1/5 of the bar to fill. 

Am I correct in estimating that there are 76 levels to this game or are there more levels?  If I make it to the ultimate level (in a few years) is there a surprise or a least a snarky comment about the obsessive compulsiveness by the user  ;D

Looking forward to a Three Musketeers sequel after Tasty Planet 2.
Live Long and Prosper

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 06:13:57 PM »
Ha ha, well I wasn't expecting anyone to get much higher than 35. There is is no hard limit to what level you can get to, but it will get harder and harder to reach higher levels because you won't be able to get enough experience to advance any further. (Random encounter enemy difficulty is capped, and getting higher levels requires exponentially more experience points)... I don't *think* it would be possible for someone to reach level 76 within their lifetime... but I haven't done the math to know for sure. ;)

rendu2mai

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 07:19:53 PM »
well, it means i cannot continue playing the second episode with the version of queen anne's diamond, right ?

mrspockfan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 07:23:04 PM »
James,

Thanks for the reply.  This has become my go-to game, I never get bored with it.  I may never reach level 76  :-\ but at least I have something to strive for while I wait for your next games.   No pressure ;D
Live Long and Prosper

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 02:47:46 AM »
well, it means i cannot continue playing the second episode with the version of queen anne's diamond, right ?

Yeah, that's right. You'll need to get The Three Musketeers: Milady's Vengeance when it comes out (which should be soon).

rendu2mai

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 11:01:11 AM »
i see. when chapter 1 was finished, the achievements was full, so that the achievements of chap.2 cannot placed.
btw: there's a little bug in chap.1 , when d'art came back Paris from England , the code for the horse was Forward, and maybe in the  third tavern, the choice of code was Forward, Sunday, and Backward which was also shown in the first tavern. i think it may be Saturday or any other day. i checked and found missions.lua mistake getString( "ml10d14" ) for getString( "ml10d4" ).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 11:09:27 AM by rendu2mai »

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 01:53:16 PM »
You're right - it was supposed to say "Monday" not "Backward". That must be one of the most obscure bugs ever reported  :). Actually, I just told Kris about it, and she claims that she noticed it during development but I ignored her when she told me about it... oops. I fixed it now. ;)

istara

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 09:50:20 AM »
First, in case anyone is wondering, there are a few versions of the game. "The Three Musketeers: The Game" is the full deluxe game that I sell from DingoGames.com. I also wanted to sell Musketeers from some of the big "casual portal" websites but I wasn't willing to sell it for the prices they wanted to sell it for. So I split the game into two episodes, "The Three Musketeers: Queen Anne's Diamonds", and "The Three Musketeers: Milady's Vengeance" for the casual portals.

I appreciate that you had issues with the third-party portals, but I had no idea I was only buying half a game.  I would have been far happier to buy the full game instead, but I never got that option.

I only realised it was half a game when I came on here trying to find out why my game appeared to "end early" and wouldn't let me continue playing, despite me not having completed half the stuff I found on a walkthrough.  So now I learn I don't even have the full game.

So when you release the second episode, will I be able to import my character from the first game?  Or do I basically have to start from scratch?

I bought the game in good faith from Big Fish Games, and while I have enjoyed it (or the first half anyway) I am frustrated and disappointed that it didn't turn out to be the full product.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 03:21:24 PM »
I can understand why you would feel disappointed if you were reading a walkthrough, and the game stopped half way it through it. I'm sorry about that. Rest assured that your character will be automatically imported into Milady's Vengeance.

I intended the Queen Anne's Diamonds to be the first episode, rather than "half a game". I think that the nature of story allowed this to work pretty well, after all the story was originally published serially in a magazine, not as a complete book. Actually, my favorite Musketeer movie was the 1970s Richard Lester version, which was split into two movies (the actors thought at the time of filming that they were only making one movie).

I've noticed that more and more portal games are becoming episodic (split into multiple episodes). This trend will likely continue and portal games will get even shorter as developers try to survive on ever lowering royalties.

istara

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 01:27:31 AM »
I can understand why you would feel disappointed if you were reading a walkthrough, and the game stopped half way it through it. I'm sorry about that. Rest assured that your character will be automatically imported into Milady's Vengeance.
Oh that's brilliant news - thank you.  I'm also not disappointed with the actual game, I have hugely enjoyed it and will definitely be buying the second episode.  So long as I buy it from the same portal, will the character import still work?  (I've nearly saved up enough for the Damascene five-star sword, in my second play-through.  To lose that would be harsh ;) )

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 02:31:44 AM »
So long as I buy it from the same portal, will the character import still work?
Yes, the character import works if you buy it from the same portal. It should also work even if you buy it from a different portal.