Author Topic: How did the three musketeers get their names?  (Read 30874 times)

MileyCyrus

• View Profile
    • Email
How did the three musketeers get their names?
« on: June 03, 2010, 12:47:59 AM »
The names of the Three Musketeers are Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. I was wondering if anyone knows how they got theses names and what they mean. Thank you.
:)

Tatterhood

• Administrator
  • I have a wooden spoon!
    • View Profile
    • Blog and Portfolio
Re: How did the three musketeers get their names?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:53:20 PM »
Personally, I originally thought that the names were mainly made up by Dumas and used because they sounded 'cool.' In the Three Musketeers novel, a guard says to Athos "But that is not a man's name; that is the name of a mountain," because of Mount Athos in Greece. So I thought that his character was named after the mountain, and the other two were given their names based on Athos/becaues they sounded good!

Later, while doing more research on The Three Musketeers, I found out that they were named (and in some cases, based) on real people! Athos, Porthos, and Aramis were names they gave themselves to hide their identity. Dumas named them after Armand de Sill├Ęgue d'Athos d'Autevielle, Isaac de Porthau and Henri d'Aramitz, all real musketeers!

'Athos', 'Porthau' (also also Portau or Portaut) and 'Aramitz' (Aramits) are all places, and the 'de' in their names means 'of', so Aramand (was lord) of Sillegue, of Athos and of Autevielle (all real places in south-western France!). Dumas used just the village names, altered them a tiny bit, and gave them to the now classical characters.

It was always interesting in our research to discover that Dumas was inspired by real people when creating characters!