Author Topic: I ate the high scores  (Read 81554 times)

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
Re: I ate the high scores
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 05:11:57 AM »
I fixed the issue, and released a new version (1.0.5.0). There was a bug in the path following code that didn't show up on some computers. The rats were set up incorrectly in "Fast Cats" but the bug actually made them behave correctly. Yes, it's a bit strange. The difference in behavior across computers was caused by floating point inaccuracies (floating point numbers will often give different results across computers)... Interesting how it relates to the discussion of randomness.

Well that's all pretty technical, but it's fixed now. I also implemented some high score stuff, so the high scores will remain valid (scores achieved on old versions of the level will be capped). And thanks for spotting the difference between your level and the video! Now you'll have to beat my fast cats time!

(Also, I think that I beat a few times in Japan)

ThirdParty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 10:55:07 AM »
Thanks James, the fix worked.

In other news, I beat your scores for "Samurai Snack" and "Fast Cats", so I'm now back in the top slot on all the high scores lists.  And if you thought my buggy score on "Fast Cats" was awesome, wait until you see my genuine scores on "Teatime" and "Block Shield": those are the levels I've put the most effort into optimizing.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 04:31:55 PM »
Feast is mine again... but I can't beat your new Fast Cats time!

ThirdParty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 08:26:57 PM »
Okay, I've claimed the "Feast" high score for the fifth time.  Hopefully by enough of a margin that you'll decide to move on to some of my untested scores rather than continuing to attack this one.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 02:47:38 AM »
I beat some more times... "Laser Shuttles", "All The Way Down", and "Callipers".  :)

ThirdParty

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 05:50:40 PM »
I have a new achievement!  I've now beaten every (single player) gold time by more than the difference between gold and silver.  (It's interesting that this turned out to be possible.  How did you pick the silver times, James?)

Oh, and I believe that I also have all the high scores again.  I want more challenges!

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 06:42:55 PM »
I usually set the gold time first (based on some playthroughs) and then I based the other times on that. I picked most of the silver times by multiplying the gold time by 1.1 and then tweaking it as needed (always rounding off to some whole number). So most of them should be roughly 10% slower than gold.

Btw, I beat three of your times on some of the early bonus levels.  :)

ThirdParty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 09:37:48 PM »
Quote from: James
Btw, I beat three of your times on some of the early bonus levels.  :)
Four, actually: "Cat Consumption", "Time Machine Hard", "Exploding Ants", and "Egg Thief Hard".  I've reclaimed them.  (And tightened up my score on normal "Egg Thief", in the process.)

I notice that my score in "Eating Chalk" survived your first pass by five whole seconds.  It's the level in the Bonus Lab set that I consider most interesting, with a huge number of possible strategies.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 01:45:48 AM »
I tried a bit more on Eating Chalk, I cut off a few seconds. I can see what you mean about there being a lot of different strategies (clearly I haven't found anything near the optimal one yet).

.. I beat a few other bonus times.

ThirdParty

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 03:32:16 PM »
I beat your times again.  "Dinotime Hard" was really hard: I kept bumping into random stampeding dinos that'd cost me fifteen seconds worth of growth.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 02:01:31 AM »
Yes, one mistake will cost you on that one! But I managed to beat your time. :)

ThirdParty

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 03:38:23 PM »
Wow; nicely done.  At first I thought I was going to have to concede this one, but eventually I managed to beat your time.

I'm interested in whether your strategy for Dinotime Hard is the same as mine.  Here's how mine works:
  • 1. Start by grabbing the eleven larvae which are on the left half or so of the map.
  • 2. Next grab grasshoppers until you're big enough to grab the top egg of the center cluster.
  • 3. Grab all the eggs on the map: center cluster, left cluster, top cluster, and then right cluster.
  • 4. Grab the maple leaf just north of the last egg cluster, and then move clockwise around the map, grabbing maple leaves and butterflies until the upper left corner where the view should zoom out.  (Ideally the clock would read 3:40 at this point, but anything within three seconds of that is a good time.)
  • 5. Grab stuff from the road, dodging bambiraptors and the front of the stampede as necessary.  Once you eat the turtle, you're ready to move on.
  • 6. Grab the flowers in the southeast corner, then circle around the map edges counter-clockwise, grabbing rocks, turtles, and anything else that looks tasty.  Skip the southeast corner the second time around, since there's nothing there except the flowers.  Hopefully, the second time you reach the big rocks in the northeast, you'll be ready to grab them, after which you can start on bambiraptors.
  • 7. Grab bambiraptors and green running dinos.  It's best to wait just to the right of the dino that's browsing between the green dino path and the bambiraptor path, since that's within easy reach of both paths and is far enough from the left side of the screen that you won't accidentally scare any prey off of the map.  Eventually the view will zoom out again.  (Ideally the clock would read 2:50 at this point, but anything within ten seconds of that is a good time.)
  • 8. Grab one or two bambiraptors to the left until you can eat ferns.  Then eat the ferns and small dinos near your starting position, cross the road--ideally confusing the big red dino enough to create a traffic jam--and eat the dino skeletons and other ground litter until you're big enough to eat the medium-sized brown dinos.
  • 9. Grab various medium-sized dinos until you win.  (Ideally the clock would read 2:05.)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:40:03 PM by ThirdParty »

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 04:39:50 PM »
I was doing the first section a bit differently. I was looping around eating larva - first to the bottom, then to the right, then back to the middle - usually passing right in front of the turtle coming out, and hopefully beating any Cimolestes to eat all the grasshoppers in the middle. Then I ate the middle cluster of eggs, then the top, then left, then right. Then I could ate the leaves, and butterflies, looping around from the bottom left yellow one, back up and around to the right. If a cimolestes happens to be in the way after eating the first red butterfly, that speeds up my time a bit. But I think my time ended up being the same as yours anyways - I don't think that I ever beat 3:40.

The middle section I did pretty much exactly as you did. The turtles are key. But I think that the dragonflies are worth picking up too.

On the last section I try to eat the Stegoceras as soon as possible, because the Albertosaurus will eat them otherwise. But I didn't usually make it to the last section because I usually quit on an earlier section after getting hit by something - so I didn't really hone my strategy on that part.

But you still ended up beating me by almost 10 seconds!  :)

ThirdParty

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 06:13:21 PM »
Yeah, I don't get to the last part very often either.  I think you may be right about grabbing the Stegos though--a test run using your strategy for Part 3 scored 2:25, whereas my usual score for when nothing has gone obviously wrong is 2:30.

It'll be interesting to see what you score on some of the next few levels.  "Worms" is another one with an interesting diversity of possible strategies.  "Dinogoo", "Block Pushers", and "Block Shield" are ones that I think I've optimized pretty well, unless I've got the wrong strategy on "Dinogoo" or missed a trick on the others.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2010, 04:32:24 PM »
I just managed to beat your time on Tasty T-Rex Hard... but in Worms and Dinogoo I can't even get close. :)