Author Topic: Level bugs?  (Read 7436 times)

Kren

• View Profile
    • Email
Level bugs?
« on: November 01, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »
Two bugs I've recently noticed:
1. In "Beware of (the) Deinosuchus": After getting off the lily-pad trail, some of the turtles Agomphus seem organized in a line, but don't move (two of them aren't in a line). Coding bug?
2. In any of the "Egypt" levels where you eat stuff on the table then jump/fall off: I've once twice thrice been able to eat Natron (whatever that is...)(Egyptian pillow?) BEFORE jumping/falling off the table, yet I cannot eat the Natron on the floor. Is that Natron bigger or do you shrink at that part?
End note: To end my uncertainty on tables once and for all, I must know: does the goo fall off the table, or jump off intentionally?

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
Re: Level bugs?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 05:55:54 PM »
Thanks for the report.

1. I just looked at the level - there are three Agomphus that are supposed to be stationary. They aren't in a line. There should be a path of Agomphus coming out of the water, curving up to the top right of the level. Is this not what you have? How many Agomphus are stationary for you?

2. Yeah, the pile on the table is a little bit smaller than the ones on the ground. I guess some of the natron on the table was already used in the mummification process?

... :) I think he jumped off on purpose to find bigger things to eat...

Kren

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 06:16:02 PM »
 ??? :o ??? :o ??? :oThat's weird. I coulda swore there we at least 5 agomphus in a line that didn't move. the three you said are also there, and i had noticed them before.
oh well ;D guess it's one of the mysteries of the universe. like why the goo is able to eat the universe faster than it expands, or like why the velociraptors (which, being cretaceous, shoulda been in this game, maybe even replace the bambiraptors ;)) in the novel Jurassic Park all lined up facing northwest. (or was in northeast?)

timetravel

• a fool and his money is soon parted.
    • View Profile
    • blahblahblaheat.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 06:19:22 PM »
trice,Kren?trice? you mean tttrrriiipppllleee
My tooth dissapered-- maybe the goo ate it.
My dreams dissapered--maybe the goo ate them.

Kren

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 06:31:53 PM »
Nope, I mean thrice. Look it up :)

timetravel

• a fool and his money is soon parted.
    • View Profile
    • blahblahblaheat.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 06:39:31 PM »
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
My tooth dissapered-- maybe the goo ate it.
My dreams dissapered--maybe the goo ate them.

Tatterhood

• Administrator
  • I have a wooden spoon!
    • View Profile
    • Blog and Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 06:42:07 PM »
Alas, Kren, I could not include the Velociraptor. You're right, they did exist during the (Upper) Cretaceous, but they did not live in North America - which was a requirement for any dinos depicted in the game. Their fossils have only been found in Mongolia.

However, if paleontologist ever discover their skeletons here, I still couldn't draw them for TP2; the first Jurrassic Park movie made such an impact, I think, on peoples' opinion of the Velociraptor, that I know I would dishearten the gamer audience by illustrating them "correctly" - they'd be half the size of the ones in the movie and would have feathers. (so...not as cool :S) :S But perhaps if I ever needed to draw more dinos, I could do Deinonychus! (if I'm not picky about Lower/Upper Cretaceous at that point).

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 06:46:46 PM »
Yeah, and maybe next time you'll draw me a Stegosaurus! :)

mrspockfan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 06:29:57 PM »
Awwww, James,

Stop picking on Kris.  You're not getting a Stegosaurus, although you can hope :).
Live Long and Prosper

Kren

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 08:32:54 PM »
back to the subject, I found another possible bug: in the dinosaur levels where you eat stuff and then jump up and there's bambiraptors is where the glitch happens, and I think I know why. The stampeding/migrating stegoceras all go in a straight line, northeast. then when you zoom, they are supposed to turn right. But the ones that were there when were eating grasshoppers go straight northeast, all the way till they hit the maple tree! The newly spawned ones work fine, though.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 05:55:31 AM »
Yeah, when I made that level I realized that those guy weren't behaving perfectly, but it would have been tricky to fix. It wasn't that noticeable and it doesn't really affect gameplay so I left it as is.  :)

Kren

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 01:02:54 PM »
Is it just me, or does eating stuff at the edge of the map slow the goo down?

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 02:50:43 AM »
It's possible - when you eat stuff, you grow, which would cause the goo to be slightly outside of the levels boundary. The game would push the goo back inside the level bounds. I'm not sure what level that frequently happens on, though.

Kren

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 06:51:49 PM »
try eating rocks at the bottom of the levels with laser rats.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 01:46:24 AM »
You are right, I got it to stutter a bit while eating along the edge. Probably due to growing beyond the level boundary, as mentioned before. That's hard to fix because it's intrinsic to the physics system that I'm using (box2d).

Pro tip for optimal high score: don't touch the edges while eating. :)