Author Topic: Forum didn't work for a LONG TIME  (Read 9642 times)

Nibbler

• View Profile
Forum didn't work for a LONG TIME
« on: December 24, 2011, 05:37:33 PM »
James...this is a big problem. I went to the forum one day, (this is quite a while back) and I got something that said that the forum was under maintenance. Fine. The next day, same thing. Oh well. I come back about 3 days later. Still the same. What was happening? 2 weeks after that, I still got the maintenance page. This is bad. So, today, I was FINALLY able to get on.

What happened??? James, you are so lucky I even bothered to try again. I thought the forum was down for good!

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
Re: Forum didn't work for a LONG TIME
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 10:37:57 PM »
I upgraded the forum, and it was put into "maintenance mode" automatically. Maintenance mode means that regular users can't use the site. I didn't realize that it was in maintenance mode because when I visited the site I was always logged in as an administrator, so it looked normal for me. Kris is also an administrator so the site looked normal for her as well. No one told me that they were having problems... so it took me a long time to realize that anything was wrong!

Funny, we thought the forum upgrade had fixed our spam problem... turns out that the spammers just couldn't use the forum either!

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 03:41:09 AM »
It looks like everyone just had the idea, someone else will say something, there's nothing wrong. Or just forgot that there's a simple way to contact you. I was actually thinking, "Oh no! I don't have Facebook or Twitter! There's no way to contact James!" Speaking of which...did you fix the problem in TP2's gallery yet?

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 04:02:31 PM »
I just sent you a private message with the latest build of the game to test out. Let me know if that fixes your problem.

ThirdParty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 07:09:04 PM »
TP2 high score server is also down.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 04:49:14 PM »
Thank you. As usual, out of the blue my web host screwed everything up... I'm not a server administrator, but sometimes I feel like it.  :(

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 06:23:49 PM »
Ok, should be fixed now. Thanks for letting me know.

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 08:43:36 AM »
I actually had to go somewhere for a while a few hours after I posted. I was there a few days. I already gave you a private message, but just to make sure you get it...Nortons said that the thing you sent me was a virus. I guess it didn't want the goo to eat my files...

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 06:02:12 PM »
I just scanned the file with 4 different antivirus programs including the latest Norton AntiVirus. No problems found. Obviously I'm careful to keep my computer free of malware, and I check files before I distribute them.

It's clearly a "false positive"... but I really don't have enough information to go on here. Please send me more information to support@dingogames.com.

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 07:23:25 PM »
What information?

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 08:23:11 PM »
1. When did the antivirus program pop-up. Was it when you downloaded the file, when you tried to run the setup file, or when you tried to run the actual game?
2. Usually when an antivirus program detects a problem, there will be a report about what the problem actually is. What the name of the supposed malware is, what type it is... basically anything more than "it's a virus".

I know there is no malware in our stuff, but it might be possible for me to contact Norton and have them fix a false positive. I've done that in the past when I was able to reproduce the problem. This time, however, I have the latest version of Norton and it's not coming up with anything for me.

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 08:46:33 PM »
I don't see why I need the support e-mail for that...

I download the file, it says could not be verified are you sure you want to run on a bar on the bottom, it runs a security scan and removes it.

here is the file insight

that file's name (WS.Reputation.1) (that's bad)

threat removed

very few users

threat risk medium

insight network threat many indications file not trustworthy and not safe

downloaded from the link you sent me

performed one action

deleted

also got an error that says not a valid win 32 file

I have Windows Vista.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 12:26:31 AM »
Thank you...  I'm not sure what else I can do here. There is nothing wrong with the file "tastyplanet2fullsetup.exe" that I sent you. I can't reproduce it with Norton - I used "file insight" and got nothing wrong.

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 12:53:29 AM »
Did you try sending it to a computer that you own that's not connected to your main network?

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 02:31:58 AM »
I tried it on another computer and still no problem.