Author Topic: Tasty Planet App Available Now  (Read 16091 times)

Tatterhood

• Administrator
  • I have a wooden spoon!
    • View Profile
    • Blog and Portfolio
Tasty Planet App Available Now
« on: February 01, 2011, 03:19:34 PM »
To all our Dingo Games and Tasty Planet fans - you can now play TP on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch! That's right, we finally made our first app! We've updated it for the app store, so there are now four different ways to play (tilt, tap, joystick or trackpad), new comics, and of course you still get an all-you-can eat buffet of objects from microbes to solar systems! It's the original Tasty Planet you know and love, now available in the app store. You can get it today!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:55:26 PM by Tatterhood »

Tatterhood

• Administrator
  • I have a wooden spoon!
    • View Profile
    • Blog and Portfolio
Re: Tasty Planet App Available Now
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 03:52:09 PM »
...and there's a lovely little app video you can view right here!

timetravel

• a fool and his money is soon parted.
    • View Profile
    • blahblahblaheat.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 04:22:33 PM »
Yay... To bad I can`t play it on the go :'(. I hope I can get it on Nintendo later.
My tooth dissapered-- maybe the goo ate it.
My dreams dissapered--maybe the goo ate them.

Iramatak

• Tasty Planet Expert
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 08:36:27 PM »
Real fans buy BEFORE the obligatory sale right after an app goes up.

:'(

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 05:56:54 AM »
Real fans buy BEFORE the obligatory sale right after an app goes up.
Sorry, it really wasn't the original plan. I wasn't planning on doing any sales for at least a couple weeks or more likely a couple months after release. Here's what happened:

We made a smaller flash version of Tasty Planet to promote the iPhone game. The idea being that we'd get lots of free plays on the Flash game and then some percentage of those users would buy the iPhone game. The first part of the plan was working amazingly - we already have over one million plays of the Flash game. The problem was that we weren't getting anywhere near the number of iPhone sales that we had hoped for. Seriously, one MILLION flash plays, I expected a lot of iPhone sales from that.

We started wondering if maybe the Flash players weren't willing to pay $1.99 for a game. Maybe they would buy ten times more at $0.99. Because the flash game isn't going to be doing these huge numbers for much longer I decided we needed to act quickly and test out $0.99. I felt really bad about doing the sale so soon after release, but I couldn't just sit there and watch the game flop without ever making it up the charts. That's the only way to do well with iPhone games - you NEED to make it up the charts to get seen by lots of people.

The game has moved up the charts pretty quickly today, so it may have been the right move. We're going to end the sale after weekend, then see where the numbers go from there - that will give me a pretty good idea of where the price point should be.

It's tricky to figure out what the best strategy is, and we've been stressing about this stuff all week. I'm grateful to everyone who has bought the game - and I hope you think it is worth it!

Tatterhood

• Administrator
  • I have a wooden spoon!
    • View Profile
    • Blog and Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 12:51:49 AM »
The Tasty Planet App has now been updated with Game Center Leaderboards and Achievements! James spent a lot of time getting Game Center to work with TP, so we hope you enjoy it :D

..and as a side note, the Achievement graphics were a lot of fun to create; my favorite was the one for 'Simon the Cat.'

And because a Twitter feed, blog, and forum weren't enough, Dingo Games now has a Facebook page that you can like and follow for updates, links to videos, pictures and more.

voorash

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 07:16:56 PM »
James,

Just as a side note to price point issues, I was one of the people that found your game because of the free flash version on armor games.  Unfortunately, I thought I couldn't get a full version because I have to iDevices other than an ipod nano.  As soon as someone told me there were pc versions I purchased them both.  I would suggest you also promote the pc version in your free flash version as I am sure a lot of people would like to have it.  Great game, hope you keep making for pc and not just iphone apps in the future.

Dan

PS I am really starting to hate picnic 6.  Only one more second for gold.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 04:26:34 AM »
Yes, I agree that I should have put more promotion for the full downloadable game in the Flash version. We did have the Dingo Games links in the game, which brought a lot of people here - but I think a lot of people ignore those links because they assume that it is just the sponsor of the game, not the developer. I've been surprised by how many Flash players found us and bought the full downloadable game - but then again we got 7 million Flash plays, or something crazy like that, so a few people are bound to find us!

Now the Flash game is out in the wild so it's hard to change anything about it. At best I could change it on a hand full of large sites (armor, newground, kongregate), but I think the majority of plays at this point will be coming from all the smaller sites that picked the game up - it's impossible to change it on those sites.

Edit: And yes, we are planning on continuing to make PC/Mac games.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 05:45:01 PM by James »

ijuin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 01:56:57 PM »
I remember how in the PC version, in the solar system level I looked for Pluto and didn't find it despite the obvious inclusion of the Kuiper Belt, and concluded that it was left out because at the time Tasty Planet was first made, Pluto had just been demoted from planet to dwarf planet. Anyway, thank you for including Pluto in the iPhone version of the game!

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 03:52:36 PM »
Pluto should be in the Mac/Windows version of Tasty Planet as well.

Tasty Planet: Back for Seconds doesn't have pluto. Partly because it is no longer a planet, and partly because of the way that I designed those levels - unlike TP1, the planets are actually the correct sizes in Back for Seconds. So when it zooms out to the outer solar system, pluto would be basically invisible because it is so small.

(Obviously the asteroids are way too big... but without them, there is not enough stuff to eat in the solar system)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 04:00:06 PM by James »

ijuin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 04:32:06 PM »
Ok, thanks for clarifying that.

I agree on the asteroid issue that scale realism should take a back seat to fun gameplay. "All the way down" is one of my favorite levels, with its epic zoom from microbe size to universe size.

Omeganian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 02:04:46 PM »
Any plans for an Android App?

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 03:41:41 AM »
Any plans for an Android App?
No immediate plans, but I'm hoping to find someone to work with on that. Doing a good Android version would be hard because of the vast number of different devices with different capabilities.