Author Topic: Tasty Planet 3  (Read 137119 times)

raxo2222

• View Profile
Re: Tasty Planet 3
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 10:55:47 AM »
Goo would be a rogue particle from another universe

Kren

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 02:13:27 PM »
You must make the game be 3D James. I am going to bug you about this. You can't accurately display subatomic particles in a 2D setting. Make the levels 3D, if only for the subatomic and molecular size levels. Go ahead and go 2D after those levels, if it is too much of a challenge for you ;)

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 05:18:38 PM »
You can't accurately display subatomic particles in a 2D setting.

You can do a reasonable approximation in 2d. I guess electrons are supposed to be orbiting the nucleus in 3d (unlike the solar system - where it really is on a 2d plane). However, lots of (most?) atom diagrams are in 2d. Even simple molecule diagrams are often represented in 2d... I don't know, I'm neither a physicist nor a chemist, but seems like a reasonable approximation to me.

Random idea: maybe TP3 could start with an accident (or "success") in the Large Hadron Collider...

timetravel

• a fool and his money is soon parted.
    • View Profile
    • blahblahblaheat.deviantart.com
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 06:07:10 PM »
Randomer idea: When the goo becomes big enough to go into space,the level before that the goo eats all the contries. Just saying.

Go 3d, go 3d, go 3d, go 3d.
My tooth dissapered-- maybe the goo ate it.
My dreams dissapered--maybe the goo ate them.

Kren

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 02:02:14 PM »
and i like that other guy's idea of having 20 goo's. the most we got in TP2 was four at once (one level had two enemy goo's) but having a party level or two (maybe even one at the end of each level, but not necessarily contingent with the story line) with upwards of 20 goos would be really fun ;D

ijuin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 04:04:40 PM »
Random idea: maybe TP3 could start with an accident (or "success") in the Large Hadron Collider...
Large Hadron Collider, or perhaps the Superconducting Supercollider (which was intended to have 4 times the collision energy of the LHC before it was canceled--maybe it was completed in the TP3 universe?). Anyway, there are two already-existing scenarios for world-eating entities coming from particle colliders--microscopic black holes, and "strangelets" (particles made up of "strange" type quarks--the six quark types are up and down--from which protons and neutrons are made, top and bottom, and strange and charm). Strangelets supposedly will convert any proton or neutron that they touch into another strangelet, and they will clump together into a mass as dense as neutron star matter.

Anyway, so the above establishes it as plausible that a "grey goo" could be created like that, so a particle collider incident could work as an origin for the Goo.

My suggestions for submicroscopic levels:

Level 1: Subatomic Snacking / Nuclear Nibbles
Size scale: 100 attometers to 100 femtometers. (for reference, a proton or neutron is about one femtometer--and 1,000 attometers to a femtometer, 1,000 femtometers to a picometer, 1,000 picometers to a nanometer).
Eat electrons (smallest, marked with an "electric" yellow glow), protons, neutrons, and then progressively larger nuclei (helium, carbon, oxygen, iron, gold, up to uranium). Hazards include neutrinos that shoot through the level in straight lines like bullets--slow enough to dodge but moving faster than the Goo.

Level 2: Atomic Cafe
Size scale: 100 picometers to 1 nanometer (most atoms are 100-500 picometers)
Eat small atoms such as hydrogen and helium, and on upward to bigger ones until you reach Uranium and such.

Level 3: Molecular Munchies
Size Scale: 1 nanometer to 100 nanometers
Eat small molecules such as water and oxygen, then midsize molecules such as ethyl alcohol and glucose, on up to proteins.

Level 4: Cellular Cuisine
Size scale: 10s of nanometers to a few micrometers
You find that the Goo is inside of a eukaryotic cell (whether human, animal, plant, or amoeba is up to James and company). Start by eating RNA and DNA strands, then ribosomes and mitochondria and microtubules and other cell parts until you've eaten the whole cell.

From here it then goes into the usual "eat bacteria" stage that is the smallest stage of TP1-2.

The second thing I was thinking of was that I liked the suggestion earlier of having a couple of levels on Earth above the 1 kilometer scale, a range that was just barely touched upon at the ending of the "Save the Dinosaurs" level in TP2.

Going from the premise that the "lab" in TP3 is a particle collider, when the Goo gets to the 1 kilometer range it eats the entire lab and accelerator ring (the ring is eaten as a bunch of sections making up the full ring that is several kilometers in diameter). And then .  .  .

Level 1: Big as Texas (if the Superconducting Supercollider) / Swiss Treat (if the Large Hadron Collider)
Size Scale: 1 kilometer to 100 kilometers
Eat entire towns, cities, rivers, lakes, forests, and mountains in the area around where the particle collider was.

Level 2: Sweet Land of Liberty (if the SSC) / Continental Breakfast (if the LHC)
Size scale: 100 kilometers to 2 thousand kilometers.
Eat whole map regions. If America, start with Rhode Island, Connecticuit, Prince Edward Island, and the other small northeastern states/provinces, and keep going until you have eaten every part of the USA, Mexico, and Canada, ending with Quebec and Alaska. If Europe, eat the various European nations starting with Liechtenstein and Monaco and growing until you can eat France in a final massive gulp. The map regions would "tear out" from the background as you eat them, sort of like how the "fabric of space" tears when you eat it in TP1-2.

For an ending, TP1 used the "universe begins again" idea and TP2 used the "turtles all the way down" idea. I would like to suggest that TP3 borrow from all those old science fiction stories about finding a universe inside an atom--when the Goo has eaten the entire universe, we find out that the whole universe was in fact a single subatomic particle in a much vaster universe, which itself is a particle in an even vaster one, and on infinitely, allowing the Goo to keep on eating bigger universes forever.

Kren

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 04:48:17 PM »
a side effect i just realized: if the goo ate only some of the protons and neutrons in an atom of, say, iron (the LHC is probably made of iron, if not steel. and is also coated with something else to not interfere with the actual experiments.
but nevermind. say that an atom of some element more complex than hydrogen or helium were being nibbled on by the go. depending on what protons, neutrons and electrics that the goo doesn't eat, the atom may change into a completely different element.
so, maybe the goo wasn't an accident. maybe it was a 'sciencified' version of every true alchemists dream: to turn cheap metals into gold or at least silver. however, seeing as the goo can only eat, and cannot create, the subatomic particles, the scientists would have to "feed" the goo atoms that have an atomic number of at least 80 (since gold has an atomic number of 79, and they are organized by the number of the particles).
but something goes wrong?
duh. the goo's hunger (or goos' if there are more than one) gets the better of it (them) and it (they) (whatever, singular from now on) continues to eat more particles. now the atom(s) can turn into something like neon or phosphorus or sulfur, all highly explosive elements. or, maybe even the radioactive element krypton. then, the lab blows up because the only scientists on duty were the two clowns from the original two games. yes, thanks to them, yet more goo is released. they try to get it all under control to stop a repeat of last time (which can refer to either of the two previous games) but they make things worse (according to character :P) and they make things blow up of course.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 04:55:27 PM »
Thanks ijuin, interesting ideas. The "strangelet" idea makes sense as a possible origin for the grey goo.

The design of molecular levels would be similar to what you posted. I would have to experiment to figure out the exact sizes to do separate levels and "zoom-outs".

And I like the idea of having universes within universes. I've thought about doing a bonus level/mode that goes on forever...

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 09:14:32 PM »
How would you have the measurements be done for an endless level? Would it just go to the largest length in the metric system then go back down to the smallest? (Which would just make you feel like you are repeating the level over and over. It also doesn't show your progress if it was like that. You wouldn't be able to tell. Why not just play the level all the way down repeatedly?) Would you have a count that shows how many times you've gone through to make up for that? (It could be used for high scores.) Maybe you could have special universes every once in a while to make it less repetitive. (Maybe first subtle changes (like on the fifth tenth and twenty-fifth) then crazy later on (one hundred and further goals.))

Or would you have a special system for size?

Also, would it save your progress so you can keep going on later? I know a game where the endless mode saves your progress. It's actually a match 3 game, but...same principle. It saves your score.

ijuin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 11:00:04 PM »
The endless level sounds like a good application of the "universes within universes" idea. I agree that if you did that, there would have to be a counter for how many universes you have eaten through (and reset from the teraparsec scale to the attometer scale). Or for the feeling of "OMG this new universe is HUGE" you might use an exponential notation in parsecs--e.g. the humans in the new world would be 10^27 or so parsecs tall (taking a proton as 10^-15 meters equal to a teraparsec sized universe). Since the level is endless, scoring would not be "time to completion" but rather "time to reach the Nth universe".

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 11:05:48 PM »
Or maybe lifetime total amount of universes eaten. Also what happens when the exponents get big?

10^99999999999999999......

It wouldn't take too many universes with it's exponential growth.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 12:14:37 AM »
Hmmm, I hadn't thought about the display size issue. I would probably put a "universe" counter, and maybe display your size in scientific notation. I have avoided using exponents in the game because a lot of people would be confused or turned off by them, but exponents would be the best way to display your size in a level like that. The SI prefixes (kilo, mega, giga, etc.) only go up so high.

Fortunately the display size wouldn't be an issue. Although you're growing exponentially, the exponent would be growing linearly. So even after you ate 100 universes, the exponent would only be around 5,000 (assuming +50 per universe).

In any case, it's just an idea. Could be a fun bonus level.

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 12:33:30 AM »
(Of course, you have the crazy people going for 1000000 lifetime total or more. So, it could be a problem still but oh well.)

(Of course, then you can go 10^10^10^10 etc...after that...well...use that thing they use to calculate graham's number. No one will ever get there but...)

Why are you only going to electrons anyways? Shouldn't you start at one planck length? Then you can have strings, quarks, etc. Then no complaints can be made about being small ever.

Also, maybe a level creator...that would be really neat. Especially if you could share them on the internet/to your friends.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 01:06:21 AM »
Why are you only going to electrons anyways? Shouldn't you start at one planck length? Then you can have strings, quarks, etc. Then no complaints can be made about being small ever.
I don't know, I've never really studied that stuff - is there even an widely accepted visualization for it?

Also, maybe a level creator...that would be really neat. Especially if you could share them on the internet/to your friends.
It would be neat. The problem is that making a level editor that is reasonably easy to use would be very time consuming. My current editor is pretty good for myself, but I doubt many other people would put the time in to figure it out (and actually adding *new* entities would be very hard - animations, collision area, AI, etc.).

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2011, 01:34:47 AM »
Ummm...I think I saw some sort of youtube video....it had comparisions using pictures. Sure, it would be an hour of gameplay probably before you were eating atoms..but...want me to give you the link? (The thing he has bigger than the universe is pretty funny.)

How many people work at dingo studios anyways?

(Now the huge paragraph below is about how I found tasty planet.)

(Also as a side note....many years ago, I saw something in the news about the original katamari damacy coming out. Unfortunately, the next day when I went to look for it, I had forgotten the name. (sigh) So I was stuck playing feeding frenzy for many years. I was bored of fish. Eventually, I found Tasty Planet. After playing the first few levels (up to picnic table) available online, I went to many sites downloading a free trial. I remember seeing the typo for the invincible cheat and laughing. I eventually found this site and seeing katamari damacy mentioned, I was really happy. I got katamari forever. I came back here and played tasty planet a bit still. I didn't buy it because I didn't have a credit card. (Still don't. I used a pre-paid.) I saw this and needed to have the sequel. So I bought it. Now, I'm awesome at cherry blossoms but I suck at every other level! It's a great game! I actually probably play it a lot more than katamari actually. It's probably the game I play the most.

Thank you for creating this game!)

(Now, back to trying to beat thirdparty at cherry blossoms again. He got it under 33 seconds. I'll still know if you post anything so don't worry.)