Author Topic: Tasty Planet 3  (Read 145535 times)

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
Re: Tasty Planet 3
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2011, 02:01:30 AM »
Ummm...I think I saw some sort of youtube video....it had comparisions using pictures. Sure, it would be an hour of gameplay probably before you were eating atoms..but...want me to give you the link? (The thing he has bigger than the universe is pretty funny.)

Sure, I'd like to see some good visualizations of this stuff.

Thanks for the other comments. Dingo Games is two people: myself and my wife.

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 02:15:06 AM »
2? No one else is working on the games or doing anything at all? Wow. Ok, level creator not being made more understandable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSY42-QTfDM&feature=channel_video_title

Umm...is there a feature I have to turn on for this to work?

(I guess we'll be eating billions of something before we get to neutrino size)

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 03:10:27 PM »
Cool YouTube video. This kind of thing is helpful. I still wouldn't know how to design levels for things smaller than electrons/protons/neutrons. Although it is clear, as you said, that a level like that would take a long time to beat (even if I turned the growth rate way up).

And yeah, the end of that video... what a twist!

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »
Of course the end is also true. lol

Well if you want creatures earlier look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanobe

Smallest form of life

Also, I've seen for instance in Egypt, you eat houses, then groups of houses. So you could have groups of those manifolds and other things at the beginning once you get bigger.

(You've already had things like that in space, too. Galaxy, galaxy group, galaxy cluster, supercluster. Same idea.)

lennonluiz0907

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 10:10:16 PM »
WOOT. insanity. this should be tasty planet 4. oh...  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
so, when you will make it????

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2011, 10:30:54 PM »
Tasty Planet 4 will not be released until after Tasty Planet 3.  ;)

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 09:54:16 PM »
Aww...we have to have 3 before 4?

Also, I have another idea. How about a smooth zoom out feature. Not just an abrupt jump. It would look a lot nicer. I've actually seen something that has that. What was it again? I'll check later. I know it was just a player using the editor that comes with the game making a custom level and adding that effect.

lennonluiz0907

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 10:27:40 PM »
i know. it's just incredible...  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 11:17:17 PM »
Also, I have another idea. How about a smooth zoom out feature. Not just an abrupt jump. It would look a lot nicer.
When a zoom-out happens, the game is internally loading an entirely new level. This makes removing the zoom-outs technically challenging. Also, maybe more importantly, the level designs rely on fixed zoom-out levels. Level boundaries and creature emitters are tied to the current zoom level. I'm not sure how that would work with a constant zoom out effect. Most solutions that I can think of would require a major rewrite to the game engine and level creation would be extremely slow compared to the current system.

One positive effect that the current zoom-out system has is that it gives the player a better sense of getting bigger. If we somehow did a constant zoom out effect, the goo would always stay the same size (while the world around him got smaller).

I do like the way that Katamari does it - internally I think that they handle it the same way that I do - loading new levels after reaching a certain size. However, they hide it by doing a couple of "fake" zoom outs before doing the big zoom out (the one where the screen goes blurry) and loading the new level. I think that their levels must take an enormous amount of time to create - considering how many people work on those games and how few levels they have.

lennonluiz0907

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 11:51:55 PM »
i know. it's just incredible...  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
when i seen the video... this is TASTY PLANET 5!
yes, unbelievable...  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2011, 01:45:35 AM »
Hmm...I guess you're right. I guess I was just a little angry at almost always being one petal short to the zoom out on cherry blossoms. Literally.

Also, something that I've always found weird. How come the mouth isn't the only part of an animal's body it can eat you with in the game? Is it supposed to be like the creature stomps on you?

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2011, 04:49:57 AM »
Also, something that I've always found weird. How come the mouth isn't the only part of an animal's body it can eat you with in the game? Is it supposed to be like the creature stomps on you?
Yeah, that's something that I'd like to change.

Kren

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2011, 12:04:38 PM »
I think stomping makes sense with the bigger entities like the Tyrannosaurus and Albertosaurus, but Bambiraptor shouldn't kill you if you touch its wing.

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2011, 08:00:08 PM »
Since it dissapears though, that would imply it ate it with whatever body part the goo touched. Which can be pretty weird.

If you fix that, and make it so if you move slowly behind something it won't notice you, you could make missions where you sneak into heavily guarded areas to eat what's inside.

Maybe like a gold vault or Area 51.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2011, 03:22:38 PM »
If you fix that, and make it so if you move slowly behind something it won't notice you, you could make missions where you sneak into heavily guarded areas to eat what's inside.
The getaway would certainly be easy (eat all the guards)