Author Topic: Song Chances  (Read 28266 times)

mattb777

• View Profile
    • Email
Song Chances
« on: February 08, 2012, 10:13:49 PM »
I find the subject of probability in programming interesting.

Why is it that one song (the one that is kind of "fast" with the repeated melody and the cymbals crashing in the background) is the song played half of the time on the iOS version? Also, your update said something about a new song, but it doesn't seem to exist.
Tasty Planet is so great. How did only a two-person company make such a great game!?

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
Re: Song Chances
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 01:21:54 AM »
The songs should play completely randomly, the only limitation is that the same song should never be played two times in a row. Also, there is one "futuristic song" that is only played in the lab and in the future (because I didn't think it fit the other levels very well).

I'm not sure why you would feel that one song get played more than the others, I just tried it out and it seemed appropriately random. The only way that I could make it feel more random would be if I made sure that a song never gets played twice until all the other songs are played. That would be basically the same as creating a randomized playlist and then looping through it.

There is one song that is new to the iOS version, but you probably already heard it because you were playing the Windows/Mac version of the game. Basically what happened was that I was trying to keep the game under 20MB (that's the limit for downloading a game over 3G) and I thought it might go over, so I took out one song. There is no way to check exactly how big the final build is going to be on the App Store until it is released. So after I released it, I saw there was an extra megabyte or two, so I knew that I could fit that song back in the game.

Actually Apple just announced this week that there is now a way to check the App Store file size before releasing the App. Yippie. ::)