Author Topic: The gallery error  (Read 13256 times)

Nibbler

• View Profile
The gallery error
« on: June 20, 2011, 08:20:30 PM »
I'm running 1.0.8. Is it outdated?

Anyways, my problem is, I recently passed 1 million eaten things.

It's showing up as 1,01,617. No hundred thousands column.

(Also, 837,553 of those are cherry blossoms, 29,280 are cherry blossom petals and 2,160 cherry blossom trees. I will beat Third Party! Eventually.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:43:01 PM by Nibbler »

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
Re: The gallery error
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 01:50:02 AM »
Yes, you are right. Thank you. That was using some old code for displaying long numbers - it only worked properly with one comma. I fixed the code so next time I do a new build the fix will be in.

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »
Yay! I forced an update! I feel happy.

You're going to have to send a lot of download links out.

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 12:21:36 PM »
James, umm...when will the update be coming out?

(sorry for double post, but I don't want to play until the gallery's fixed)

ThirdParty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 06:06:44 PM »
Why don't you want to play until the gallery's fixed?  It seems probable, especially in light of James's post, that the problem is with the display of the number, not the storage of the number.

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 06:41:50 PM »
I know, but I don't want it to bug out for instance when I get to 1100000.

Wait, how come you haven't brought this error up?

Also, I was thinking of making a youtube lp of this, and I'd want the game to look nice and not have bugs on easy to fix things. You won't believe how many feeding frenzy clone comments I've gotten showing the short 1 hour trial of the original to people. I don't want to make the series seem worse, even a little bit.

Hmmm...well, since they'd probably want a gold walkthrough...expect a lot of screaming. lol (No, the account isn't made yet. I'm guessing Nibbler would be taken...maybe NibblingNanobots?)

ThirdParty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 03:31:21 PM »
Quote from: Nibbler
Wait, how come you haven't brought this error up?
Because I never look in the gallery.  But now that you mention it...

I've eaten 1,14,740 objects, including 396,040 cherry blossoms and 14,379 petals.

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 05:58:02 PM »
You just found the right strategy faster than me...and let less attempts through...I'll get it eventually...how do you find the right strategy anyways for EVERY level? It doesn't make sense...what, do you hack the game to see what emits what and which emits the most and exact size requirements and stuff? I'm joking, but seriously. With how much you've done, I'd expect you to be at around 5 million.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 10:41:30 PM »
It really is just a display bug, you don't need to worry about it glitching out.

But I'll probably release an update in August.

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 11:04:39 PM »
What would it show up as then? Some weird combination of symbols?

ThirdParty

• View Profile
Re: finding strategies
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 03:13:03 PM »
Quote from: Nibbler
how do you find the right strategy anyways for EVERY level?
My primary trick is, when trying out strategies, to look for checkpoints where I can pause and note down my time: for example, when the camera zooms out, or when a particular object first becomes edible.  Then I play through it a few times, noting my time at each checkpoint, in order to see roughly what the optimal time between each pair of checkpoints is.  That's usually pretty effective at giving me a feel for whether the strategy I'm using is viable or not.

For example, suppose that on one run of a level, it takes me 0:45 to reach a given checkpoint and 1:15 to win afterwards, while on another run it takes me 1:15 to reach the checkpoint and 0:45 to win afterwards.  I can figure that, even though I haven't yet scored under 2:00, the strategy I'm using is fully capable of scoring 1:30.  If 1:30 is good enough, I should keep practicing the current strategy; otherwise I should look for a new one.

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 04:37:40 PM »
Ok...a few things then.

Your fast cats time is nuts. Even just touching them it's hard to beat James' time, but possible. Your time goes way past that. I don't know where you got the extra time.

Cherry blossoms. Now there's only one zoom out, it's pretty easy to optimize the part before it. The rest is short and doesn't have a checkpoint.

So levels like that, short and no checkpoints, where's your strategy to finding strategies?

(That is a good tip for other levels though. Thanks.)

ThirdParty

• View Profile
Re: strategies
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 05:18:05 PM »
Checkpoints don't have to be zooms.  They can be "ate the 10th rat", "grew to a size of 2.0 meters without eating any petals I was intending to save for later", or even "passed due south of the tree for the third time while following approximately my intended path".

But, yeah, Cherry Blossoms is hard.  It's roughly a Traveling Salesman problem; if I had a generalized approach for solving such problems efficiently, I'd be very rich.

Nibbler

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 07:07:16 PM »
Oh, getting to 2 metres without eating saved petals is HARD. I need to get my strategy changed so it's easy.

We should probably be talking about this on the high scores thread. Make any replies to this in that thread, ok?

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dingo Games
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 01:25:38 PM »
What would it show up as then? Some weird combination of symbols?
Not sure what you mean.. I think it just cuts out the thousands place.

It's roughly a Traveling Salesman problem;
:D